Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Going forward in 2011

It's been a little over a week since the marathon and I'm still enjoying the runners high. I had decided prior to the marathon that I would take a break from running for at least 2 weeks after the event. I have held true to that plan and have found it refreshing. It's given me a chance to reflect on my 2010 running achievements and plan new ones for 2011.


As much as I wanted to love the marathon and everything related to it the opposite turned out to be true. The training really took its toll on me the past 4 months. I found myself in a place where I was tired of running. It had become a tedious chore instead of an enjoyable adventure. In short I was burnt out. Prior to the race I was filled with doubt, anxiety and fear. During the race I was pleased that the first 13 miles were near effortless, but last 13 were less enjoyable.

The funny thing about running is you quickly forget the misery of the race. Instead you focus on the accomplishment of the finish and how great it felt. Then you dissect the race as a whole. You grade your performance and start to think about what you could have done different. Then what you swore you wouldn't do you do. You start thinking about your next one. You see once you accomplish a new distance doing it again isn't as bad. The fear is replaced by confidence and the desire to do better overcomes any reservations you have against it. Pain is temporary pride is forever.

Now that the race is over and even though a day hasn't gone by that I haven't thought about the marathon I am starting to refocus on the year ahead. I'm happy to say I'm looking forward to running again; excited even. My post mara-splurg ends Saturday 1/22 and on Monday I begin training for my first 5K of the season on March 12.

My running goals for 2011 are:

1. Beat last years personal records (PR's) in every distance
2. Improve nutrition
3. Begin Strength Training
4. Incorporate cross training
5. Become more flexible
6. Run 1000 miles


Run on friends!

-Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment