Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Marathon Training Begins


I'm T-minus 6 days from the start of my first Marathon training run. To say I'm a bit nervous is an understatement. The thought of running for almost 4 hours is intimidating. I've completed 2 half marathons now and after each one I could maybe squeak out 1 more mile in about 20 minutes if you bribed me with - I can't even think of anything you could bribe me with. If you held a gun to my head I would just tell you to shoot me. The thought of turning around and running back to the start line, nope, not happening. I've mapped it out. It's like running from Joliet to Seneca or Gardner. That's nearly a 30 min trip by car... on the highway... at 60 miles an hour... EEP!

I guess it's not so much the race itself as it is the training. I just downloaded my training program. It says I'm doing 20 mile runs on weeks 6,9,11 and 13. EEP! Marathon training is something you can't take lightly. You have to do it. You have to prepare your body as well as your mind for the task of pounding pavement for 4+ hours. I'm sure I'll gain confidence as I go. Right now though, I'm terrified. I currently run 5 times a week for a total of 20 - 25 miles. For marathon training I'm upping that distance to 30 and peaking at 49 miles running 4 days a week. The real fun begins when I try to pepper in my fall short race schedule with my training. I'm a 5K junkie and I love my fall races. Let's see how this plays out.

The journey begins next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment