Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Journal entry - Running Analytics

I love when I get to combine two things I love. In this case running and analysis are those two things. Running produces so many data points to analyze. I love to get lost in the spreadsheets and charts and graphs I can create from all those points. So many ways I can track my progress and improvements. One more year of data and I should be able to calculate at what point I will start to see diminishing returns that greatly out weigh the effort to achieve more speed.

Today I'll start with 2009 data. My first race last year I ran a 31:01. My fastest time in 2009 was 24:25 a 21% improvement. In that time I lost 25lbs or 12%. Looking at this I could say I should be 1 minute faster for every 3.84 pounds I lose. Let's compare them with this years numbers but lets assume the training has been consistent year over year. This year so far I've lost only 5 lbs. Which should equate to approx. 1 minute 30 seconds faster than my fastest time last year. My fastest time this year is 22:25 which is exactly 2 min faster than my best time last year. Here's the bummer. I've already put in 138% more miles than last year. Then the question is - does it take a 138% increase in miles for a 30 second gain? Thankfully there are so many factors to running that this isn't necessarily true; however, I do like looking at the correlation.

Of course this is all just my "funny math" and many of you astute scholars will probably want to pick it apart. Have at it, though I would appreciate more constructive criticism than just plain criticism. As it looks right now if I drop another 5 lbs and increase mileage by another 138% I should be able to run a 20:25 which would just make my year.


Here are my fall goals.


5K under 20:30

10K under 45:00

10 Miler 1:15:00

1/2 Marathon 1:42:00

Marathon 3:45:00

Keep the miles coming!

-Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment